Friday, January 10, 2014

Sew Kitschy 1st BOM Finish

The first block of the
                                         Sew Kitschy BoM                                                     

This afternoon I got around to the first of the nine blocks of the Sew Kitschy sew along BoM by Quiet Play - Kristy is from Australia and is a very talented paper piece pattern maker. I have been following her for a long time. She has some incredible patterns for sale on Craftsy.


The 2014 BoM is a retro quilt with "Ms. Betty" and her kitchen. I love the design and the first block was fairly easy. I do not know about some of the others - look pretty advanced but.. I will try! In Kristy's notes she said she was going to start with easier pieces and build up to the harder ones. So this will be a real skill builder for me.

This months block is "a potholder and an oven mitt" - For the square potholder, I fussy cut a Robert Kaufman, Marie Perkins print called "Happy Homes". The oven mitt is also a Robert Kaufman print by Elisabeth Caldwell called "Metro Cafe",
All in all I do not think the block pops in any way. Maybe my choice for the background is the problem.   I think it is easier to paper piece with solid colors but these print just called out to me - retro, retro, retro.... so I went with it. 



Here is the quilt - 
I love the red and turquoise color pallet Kristy chose. The large flower background on the bowl  and kettle is something I should consider - those square and plads would really be hard for me to paper piece- I have a big problem with angles and trying to get them to line up properly. 
I can not wait to see all the other blocks that will be posted on the Quite Play Flicker Group.











2 comments:

Heidi said...

Your fabric choices are really fun, and stood out at the linky party! I like that it is low contrast. Your bold fabrics seem less animated than they would with bright bindings, or with a solid background. And the quilting will help define things too.

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

I'm loving your fussy cutting! I think it looks great!

And you're right - checks and stripes etc are tough backgrounds - way too much lining up!