Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Beautiful Bird Block

I was really excited to get some time to work on some of my In The Garden BoM's that I am behind on. Janeen of Quilt Art Design offered this beautiful bird block. I think I honestly must have spent over 6 hours on it. I find paper piecing "sophisticated" and challenging. This block while finishing at 12" square has way over 140 pieces in it. 

I am very happy with the way it has turned out. I was a bit afraid about the background print, whether it would be too busy but I took a chance as it reminded me of the wind. With the bright colors of the bird heads I think you can distinguish the birds fine. If anything the leaves should have been darker.
You can see more on her Flicker Group

Here are four of the blocks I have finished      



STOP HOARDING AND ORGANIZE

I have been hourding scraps ever since I started quilting 4 years ago. I keep throwing scraps under my sewing table in this plastic bin. Needless to say it is over flowing and in need of attention. Before starting the birds above I decided enough is enough and if I organized this bin I could come up with some fantastic fabric for it without cutting into yardage.









Now that is nice and easy to find pieces by color. I should have done this awhile ago.


ALSO SOME CUTE PRESENT BLOCKS

Catching up on the Riley Blake Party Quilt - here are the presents ready to open. Easy pleasy block - mindless sewing

Tonight is the Orange County Quilters Guild meeting. I finished putting the binding on my Amish quilt last night so I can bring it for Show and Tell. Having a reason to finish - really helps me get motivated. 


Freemotion by the River Linky Tuesday

4 comments:

Joy said...

Your block is beautiful, easily with enough contrast. I'm participating in this BOM as well, but I'm further behind than you; working on the fountain block right now. This is going to be such a beautiful quilt.

Sharon said...

Oh my! Lovely paper piecing! And then you sure did get organized, looks so nice! And your row blocks are cute. Looks like you are having a lot of fun!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your paper piecing is beautiful and Janeen's patterns are always neat! Congrats on organizing all your scraps!

Julie said...

I think your paper pieced birds are fabulous. I don't have quite the patience, I expect, that you do. Beautiful work!

Julie @ Pink Doxies