Friday, August 17, 2018

Guild Challenge - Inspiration American Gothic


I love guild challenges, they make you move out of the box. This one was: 
"Artful August" 
Art or Architecture 
Inspired by:
American Gothic
Grant Wood 1930
32" x 30"
 This is what I came up with. I wasn't going to do the challenge as I have so many unfinished projects ... but the guild but off the competition until September as we have a speaker this month and time didn't permit it. So I decided to go ahead.
I love the way it turned out but it did not turn out as a quilt. I stretched it on bars. Couldn't figure out how to incorporate the pitchfork so I used a Holy Bible as an American iconic symbol, it was heavy and hard to keep in place on a soft sculpture, thus the stretcher bars. I also added a broach on the Mrs.
Original layout on cutting table - only sewing here was the making of the apron and dress.

Four Years Later...back at the farm...

Twister Mini


Finished my Twister mini and got it mounted on this cute little hen hanger 
found for a dollar at the Goodwill Store. 


 King Tutankhamun

Steve got his book signed by Dr. Zahi Hawass
Last night DH and I went to a special event at the California Science Center downtown LA: 
Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh
dinner and lecture with Dr. Zahi Hawass
and the IMAX movie Mysteries of  Egypt.
AMAZING  TO SAY THE LEAST!


I am hooking up with Freemotion by the River - see what others are doing by clicking here.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Love your piece for the challenge - well done!

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Great interpretation in your art piece. Hope it is well received at the challenge.

Glenda said...

Great results for your challenge, I think your shirt is spot on, great detail and worth all the patience you used making it. Great wee touch the broach too. Cheers Glenda