Saturday, November 23, 2019

Loving Lori Holt Barn-A-Long

Loving Lori Holt

I wrote this post several years ago (2104) and never posted it... so here it is now because I have an update. In the next couple of posts I will show what I have done with some of these blocks. They ended up in an orphan pile and in August 2019 I took a guild workshop called "Orphans and Aliens" given by Leah Zeiber.
Awhile back Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet Blogspot had a Barn-A-Long. I always wanted to do a barn quilt so I started with her design that was free on line while it was a free pattern on line. The barn above was my first barn - I did not like the way it turned out. I always have a problem with picking coordinating fabrics from my stash. Lori's design are simply simple and she has many great tutorials on her website.
These blocks are: 14" x14"

This was my second barn. I think this one turned out much better. The "traditional" red helped define the project - the barn quilt was the problem with this one. Kinda of washed out.

 My third barn used the silo pattern, again the barn quilt just looks plain.
I decided to try the tractor. 16" x 20". Love it.


I really wanted a more detailed barn. I searched Google Images and found this type of barn appealed to me. I copied the idea of the pattern and made it myself so it was free. These barns are 17" x 16"- so a rather large block.


I tried again and added more detail to the door - 


Love it!!

House Blocks

These are a few of the house blocks I have made. Again someday I plan to make a house quilt.



This block is: 7" x 7"
It is paper pieced.
This little house to the right is: 9.5" x 5.5". I really like the sky fabric with the crescent moon.

I will continue to look at house blocks and fabrics.

No comments: